About this job
Compensation: $150k - 185k
Location options: Remote
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Senior
Role: System Administrator
Industry: Big Data, Data & Analytics, Internet of Things
Company size: 11–50 people
Company type: Private
mpls, juniper, cisco, bgp, python, sysadmin
As a well rounded Network Architect, you should be the type that appreciates diversity in your day, and relishes challenges outside of your comfort level! You will be touching some of the most cutting edge network and optical equipment on the market, so you must come armed with well developed problem solving skills. You should be willing to take risks and learn new technologies as soon as (or before) they come to market.
A typical day in the life of a PacketFabric Network Architect might include these types of activities:
- Perform ad-hoc network-level testing of PacketFabric services, as well as any existing or new network functionality.
- Automate the testing of each service PacketFabric offers, including creation of test suites to be performed for each platform and product. Incorporate permutations of common customer scenarios into a standard network regression test.
- Design lab network physical topologies to allow for efficient testing of multiple logical topologies.
- Maintain ownership of the consolidation of several physical network lab spaces into a single physical lab. Coordinate physical moves and cabling with Data Center technicians. Integrate lab resources into existing systems.
- Work with Systems Reliability Engineers to incorporate new systems into the PF lab environment prior to deployment.
- Create an automated system to schedule lab resources among a team of network engineers and architects, incorporating reservations and configuration deployment.
- Work with Software Engineers on software tooling of network lab automation.
- Support Software Engineers by providing network lab resources for use by QA Engineers to test enhancements to the PacketFabric portal, and other software systems.
- Deliver high quality documentation on all projects, to be used by Network Engineering and other teams within the company.
- Automate anything and everything that can be automated!
- Enhance automated system tools that support the network.
- Assist the Production Network Engineering team in day to day activities, including, but not limited to, troubleshooting network issues, upgrading/replacing network hardware, and monitoring the overall health of the network.
- Respond to and work to resolve customer issues via phone, chat, or support tickets, during work hours or during rotating on-call schedule.
- And of course, since this is a start-up, we aren’t just asking you to wear one hat. When you get a break, you can assist any of our other teams!
The right candidates will most likely have a Computer Science/Computer Engineering degree and have a strong (10+ year) background working in large scale telecommunications environments, with a proven track record of completing projects on time in spite of obstacles.
- Advanced/intermediate level understanding of IS-IS, including Traffic Engineering extensions, advertising of segment identifiers (L-ISIS), TE metric extensions.
- Advanced/intermediate level understanding of BGP, including BGP/MPLS L3VPNs, label advertisement via labeled unicast, SR Policy advertisement via SAFI 73, link-state advertisement (BGP-LS).
- Advanced/intermediate level understanding of Segment Routing, and its applications in large scale networks.
- Advanced/intermediate level knowledge of MPLS signaling protocols (RSVP, LDP, L-ISIS, L-BGP)
- Advanced/intermediate level understanding of various Layer 2 interconnect technologies, their applicable uses and typical industry implementations, including but not limited to L2VPN, EoMPLS, EVPN/VXLAN, and EVPN/MPLS.
- Ability to apply knowledge of all of the above protocols, taking into account common network designs and best practices found in large scale service provider, data center, and cloud networks.
- Experience working in cloud networking environments, including interconnecting on-premises networks with large public cloud provider networks.
- Abundance of hands-on experience with carrier class routers and switches (e.g Juniper, Cisco, Nokia, Whitebox).
- Familiarity with optical transport equipment and its underlying technologies.
- Experience implementing and operating both long-haul and regional/metro DWDM networks.
- Intermediate-plus understanding of current 'off box' network provisioning, network modeling and operational tooling.
- Experience with network automation approaches using ansible, salt, git, python, shell scripting, and netconf/restconf.
- Experience with managing your own tasks and projects, with a highly organized mindset.
- Not too big for the small jobs, not too small for the big jobs.